After our first weekend of basketball there were not many changes inside of Northern California. San Francisco still remains our top team as the Rams picked up a win over Fresno in an early season showdown between the two powers in Northern California. Las Positas, Yuba, and Diablo Valley round off the top 5. Santa Rosa, Cabrillo, Feather River all made jumps in the rankings, but Butte and Canada make drops outside the top five but stay in the top 10. Sequoias dropped out the top 10, and Columbia moves up some spots and new coming Gavilan makes thier first ever appearance in our Signal The Light Basketball rankings. Foothill and Monterey round out the rankings after one week of basketball has been played.
Week One Northern California rankings
1. San Francisco (3-0): The Rams remain the top team in Northern California after going 3-0 last week and bringing home the San Francisco Tip Off Tournament championship. San Francisco picked up wins against Napa (96-74), Yuba (96-81) and edged 2nd ranked Fresno 98-95 to start the season off 3-0. This week the top ranked Rams will travel to 7th ranked Cabrillo in Aptos on Friday night for their lone game of the week.
2. Fresno (2-1): The Rams remain number two despite going picking up their first loss of the season. Fresno picked up wins against Alameda (117-81), Canada (93-77) but suffered a setback on the road against top ranked San Francisco 98-95 in a game that saw the Rams down by 20 plus at one time. The Rams will be off this week and will return to action on November 17th against Barstow as they host thier 13th Annual Fresno City College Classic.
3. Las Positas (3-0): The Hawks jump up two spots in the rankings after finishing first at the Tony Costello Tournament last weekend. Las Positas picked up wins against Siskiyous (109-74), Sacramento (89-70) and crushing Diablo Valley (99-67) in the finals. The Hawks will have the weekend off and return to action on November 16th against Cosumnes River in first round action of the John Hogue Memorial Classic hosted by Mendocino College.
4. Yuba (2-1): The 49ers move up three spots in the rankings despite losing at the San Francisco Tournament. The 49ers picked up two wins against two ranked opponents in our preseason poll as Yuba beat Santa Rosa 75-60 and Canada 93-85 in the third place game. Yuba lost to top ranked San Francisco 96-81 in thier lone loss of the weekend. The 49ers will also have the weekend off and return to action November 14th as Yuba will face San Joaquin Delta at home.
5. Diablo Valley (2-1): The Vikings move up three spots in the rankings after having a 2-1 record at the Tony Costello Tournament hosted by Las Positas. Diablo Valley picked up wins against the Simpson JV 95-56, and knocked off Columbia 78-76 before losing to Las Positas 99-67 in the finals. Diablo Valley will next face 14th ranked Foothill (2-1) on November 17th in their next outing at the Shasta Tournament.
6. Santa Rosa (2-1): The Bearcubs move up four spots in the rankings after going 2-1 and winning the consolation bracket at the San Francisco Tip Off Tournament last weekend. After losing to Yuba 75-60 in the first round, Santa Rosa picked up a 101-70 victory over Napa and followed that up with a 74-70 win over Mt. San Antonio. The Bearcubs will also have this upcoming weekend off but will return to action on November 17th against Merritt at the Shasta Tournament.
7. Butte (2-1): The Roadrunners drop four spots in the rankings after winning the consolation championship at the Tony Costello Tournament hosted by Las Positas. After losing in the first round to Columbia 75-71, the Roadrunners picked up a 84-47 win over the Simpson JV and followed that up with a 72-70 win over Contra Costa to bring home the consolation trophy. Butte will travel to Ukiah on Thursday and face Mendocino in thier lone game of the week.
8. Cabrillo (2-0): The Seahawks move up three spots into our top 10 after posting two wins last week. Cabrillo picked up a 70-57 win over Redwoods, and followed that up with a 74-65 win over Shasta at the Cabrillo Tip Off Tournament. The Seahawks will have thier hands full this weekend as Cabrillo will host top ranked San Francisco on Friday in thier lone game of the week.
9. Feather River (2-0): The Golden Eagles jump into the top 10 and move up three spots after posting two victories last weekend in Rocklin. Feather River picked up a 72-68 win over Sierra and then squeaked past Solano 64-58. Feather River will have the weekend off and return back to action on November 17th as the Golden Eagles will face Folsom Lake at the Chabot Tournament.
10. Canada (1-2): The Colts drop out of the top 5 and six spots after losing two games last week to quality opponents. After picking up a 84-70 first round victory over Mt. San Antonio, the Colts suffered a 93-77 loss to Fresno in the semi finals and followed that up with a 93-85 loss over Yuba. Canada will next face off against Lassen on Thursday in first round action of the Jonathan Wallace Memorial Tournament hosted by Ohlone.
11. Sequoias (2-1): The Giants free fall out the top 10, as Sequoias lost thier opener against Cuesta 65-54 but the Giants rebounded picking up a 73-51 win over Santa Barbara and knocking off Allan Hancock 71-66 to finish off the weekend. Sequoias will have the weekend off and will return to action against top ranked San Francisco on November 17th at the Fresno Tournament.
12. Columbia (2-1): The Claim Jumpers jump up three spots in the rankings after knocking off Butte 75-71, and after suffering a 78-76 loss to Diablo Valley in the semi finals, Columbia picked up an overtime win against Sacramento 89-83 to take home third place at the Tony Costello Tournament. Columbia will be off this weekend and return to action on November 17th against Shasta at the Shasta Tournament.
13. Gavilan (3-0): The Rams jump into our rankings after winning the San Jose City Tip off Tournament. Gavilan made a splash last weekend as the Rams not only picked up a win over Lassen 67-55, they followed that up with a 82-66 over tournament host San Jose, then went on to win the tournament championship knocking off a solid and experience Foothill team 73-55 to bring home the chip. Gavilan will have two games this weekend as the Rams face Siskiyous on Friday night and follow that up against Cerro Coso at the Hartnell Classic on Saturday.
14. Foothill (2-1): The Owls drop one spot in the ranking after finishing second place at the San Jose City Tip Off Tournament. Foothill picked up a 80-74 win over Merced, and followed that up with a 79-70 win over Monterey in the semi finals. Foothill lost in the finals to Gavilan but the Owls had a solid weekend. Foothill will be off this weekend and return to action on November 17th as the Owls will face off against 5th ranked Diablo Valley at the Shasta Tournament.
15. Monterey (2-1) The Lobos stay in the rankings but drop one spot as well as Monterey picked up a 101-94 win over Porterville. The Lobos had a setback in the semi finals losing to Foothill but recovered from that picking up a 80-68 win over San Jose to bring home third place at the San Jose Tip Off Tournament. Next up for Monterey is Ventura on Thursday in first round action at the Jonathan Wallace Memorial Tournament hosted by Ohlone.
Signaling a Light: Lassen (2-1), West Hills (2-1), West Valley (2-1), Napa (0-2), Reedley (0-0)