As another week passes in our rankings we have some changes in our top 5 as we move into week 8. Saddleback remains the top spot followed by Compton, and Cerritos. San Diego and Citrus round off the top 5. Fullerton drops out of the top 5 following a big loss to Compton but the Hornets remain at a good spot at number six in this weeks rankings. Grossmont drops out of the rankings and Irvine Valley comes into the rankings after picking up wins against two solid ranked teams since our last rankings were dropped.
Week 8 Southern California Rankings
1. Saddleback (14-2): The Gauchos stay at number one after going 1-0 last week and winning on the road against Glendale 70-54 on the road. Saddleback has won nine straight games and will go into conference as the team to beat in the Orange Empire Conference. Saddleback is 7-2 against teams that are ranked within our rankings and will face off in Orange Empire Conference tonight against Orange Coast on the road and follow that up against 15th ranked Irvine Valley at home on Friday for their games this week.
2. Compton (13-3): The TarTars stay at number two in the rankings following a huge win last week on the road against Fullerton. Compton went on the road and demolished the top five Hornets 89-68 last week. Compton has won six straight games and are on a roll of late. Compton is 4-2 against teams that are ranked within our Signal The Light Basketball rankings and are making a push for a high seed in the post season as conference play rolls around. This week, Compton will be tested again as the TarTars open up the Chaffey Tournament on Friday against 5th ranked Citrus in first round action.
3. Cerritos (13-2): The Falcons stay put at number three after having a week off. Cerritos is one of the hottest teams in Southern California as the Falcons have won eight straight games and will have another week off before facing Antelope Valley on January 10th. Cerritos is 2-2 against teams that are ranked within our rankings and are looking like a solid team as conference is approaching.
4. San Diego (14-5): The Knights move up in the rankings one spot in the rankings but are expected to drop as San Diego suffered a 73-71 loss to Bakersfield in the first round of the Mira Costa Tournament. San Diego will face Moorpark today in the consolation semi final and if the Knights win will have one other game this week. San Diego is 4-4 against teams that are ranked within our Signal The Light Basketball rankings and are 2-2 in their last four games.
5. Citrus (13-3): The Owls picked up a victory last night against Rio Hondo and moved to 13-3 and will participate at the Chaffey Tournament this weekend as they will face off against 2nd ranked Compton on Friday night in first round action. Citrus has had a solid season thus far and have went 4-3 against teams that are ranked inside of our Signal The Light Basketball rankings.
6. Fullerton (11-5): The Hornets drop two spots in the rankings after suffering a big home loss to Compton last week in their lone game. Fullerton has lost two of three and will look to get back on track tonight in their Orange Empire Conference opener as the Hornets will hots Cypress. Fullerton will follow that up will a road game against Santa Ana on Friday night in their second game of the week. Fullerton has gone 6-5 against teams that are ranked within our rankings and look to be a team that will challenge Saddleback in Orange Empire Conference action.
7. Riverside (13-3): The Tigers move up one spot in the rankings after having the week off. Riverside picked up a huge 97-68 win on the road last night against Ventura and will look to challenge Fullerton and Saddleback as Orange Empire Conference play opens up this week. Riverside will next face Orange Coast at home this week in their conference opener as the Tigers have won five of their last six games. Riverside is 1-3 against teams that are ranked within our Signal The Light Basketball rankings and will look to have a solid conference showing.
8. Chaffey (11-5): The Panthers move up three spots in the rankings after having the week off. Chaffey will be back in action this week as they will face off against Long Beach as they host their own tournament this week. The Panthers are 2-3 in their last five and will look to improve from a tough December. Chaffey is 3-4 against teams that are ranked within our Signal The Light Basketball rankings and will look to have a good showing in their tournament this weekend.
9. East Los Angeles (9-4): The Huskies drop two spots in the rankings after going 2-1 and losing in the finals at the San Diego Mesa Tournament. East Los Angeles picked up wins against Grossmont and Cuyamaca but suffered a setback against West Hills from Northern California. The Huskies are 0-4 against teams that are ranked within our Signal The Light Basketball rankings and will need to get some quality wins under their belt. This weekend, the Huskies will be back in action as they will travel to San Luis Obispo and face Allan Hancock on Friday. East Los Angeles will then face 11th ranked Mt. San Jacinto on Saturday and follow that up against tournament host Cuesta on Sunday for their three games this week.
10. San Bernardino (14-5): The Wolverines drop one spot after having a rough tournament at the Fiesta Bowl Junior College Shootout Tournament in Mesa, Arizona. San Bernardino picked up a first round win against Big Bend, but follow that up with two straight losses against Snow and Salt Lake Community College. San Bernardino is 2-3 in their last five games and will look to get on track against 14th ranked Mt. San Antonio on Friday at home for their lone game of the week. San Bernardino is 3-2 against teams ranked within our rankings and will look to be a top team in the Pacific Coast North Conference.
11. Mt. San Jacinto (12-7): The Eagles move up one spot in the rankings following a week off. Mt. San Jacinto is 5-6 against teams that are in our Signal The Light Basketball rankings as they have faced one of the most difficult schedules in the state. This week, Mt. San Jacinto will be back in action as they will travel to San Luis Obispo and face off against a high scoring El Camino team that has spent time in our Southern California rankings on Friday. The Eagles will then follow that up with a game on Saturday against 9th ranked East Los Angeles and then face San Diego Mesa on Sunday in San Luis Obispo.
12. Antelope Valley (10-6): The Marauders drop two spots in the rankings after going 2-1 up north at the Chabot Tournament. Antelope Valley picked up wins against Sierra and Chabot at the tournament but suffered a set back against Diablo Valley in the semi finals. The Marauders were back in action yesterday as they picked up a 79-75 win over Los Angeles Pierce and will face tournament host Mira Costa today at 6pm. Antelope Valley is 2-4 against teams ranked within our Signal The Light Basketball rankings and will look to pick up a tournament championship with at least two more games at the Mira Costa Tournament.
13. San Diego Miramar (13-4): The Jets move up two spots in the rankings and have won six straight games as Miramar continue to fly under the radar. Since our last rankings, the Jets picked up three wins at the Imperial Valley Tournament with wins against Pasadena, Los Angeles Harbor and against CETYS. Yesterday, the Jets picked up another win against Moorpark and San Diego Miramar will next face Bakersfield at 6pm today in the semi finals of the Mira Costa Tournament. San Diego Miramar is 1-2 against teams that are ranked within our Signal The Light Basketball rankings and will need some more quality wins and time will tell how good the Jets are.
14. Mt. San Antonio (10-6): The Mounties stay put at number 14 after having a week off from the courts. This week, Mt. San Antonio will face off against 10th ranked San Bernardino on the road in their lone game of the week on Friday. This season the Mounties are 4-4 this season against teams that are ranked within our Signal The Light Basketball rankings and will look to pick up a quality win this week against the Wolverines.
15. Irvine Valley (9-6): The Lasers check back into our Signal The Light Basketball rankings at number 15. Irvine Valley is one of four Orange Empire Conference teams ranked within our rankings and jump back into the rankings after picking up a win against Los Angeles Valley on the road. The Lasers are 3-1 in their last four games with victories over San Diego and Mt. San Jacinto. This week, Irvine Valley will face off against Santa Ana in their home opener in Orange Empire Conference play and then face off against top ranked Saddleback on Friday. Irvine Valley is 2-2 against teams that are ranked within our rankings and will look to get off to a good start in Orange Empire Conference action this week.
Signaling A Light: Mira Costa (10-7), Cypress (8-7), El Camino (8-4), Glendale (8-6), Ventura (9-8), Bakersfield (12-7), West Los Angeles (9-6)