After five weeks of rankings in Northern California, we have had five different top ranked teams in the Signal The Light Basketball rankings. It appears to be a wide open race in Norcal. This week Canada takes over the spot for the top ranked team in the Signal The Light Basketball week 6 rankings. Last weeks top team Merritt, and second ranked San Jose City went down with losses to Ohlone. Skyline which was the only undefeated team in Northern California went down to Las Positas. Chabot and Butte dropped out of the rankings, and San Joaquin Delta and Columbia re enter this weeks rankings. Please remember my rankings are not official, and do not have any influence or involvement with the California Community College Athletic Association.
1. Canada (12-1) The Colts have eight straight games and have only loss one game on the season to San Jose on the road on November 14th. Last week, Canada beat Sequoias, De Anza, and San Joaquin Delta to win the Foothill Tournament Championship. They are 5-1 against other Signal The Light Basketball ranked teams and can put points on the board. This week the Colts are off but return to action on December 30th when they travel to Modesto.
2. Fresno (9-3) The Rams had the week off and moved up 3 spots due to losses that Merritt, San Jose, and Skyline had last week. The Rams will look to get back on track after their December 7th loss to top ranked Socal team Mt. San Antonio when they face Allan Hancock on Wednesday at the Modesto Tournament.
3. San Francisco (9-3) The Rams also had the week off but moved up three spots in the rankings. On Friday, San Francisco will take on Butte at the San Joaquin Delta Tournament.
4. College of Marin (7-1) The Mariners move into the top 5 and up 3 spots after knocking off the Simpson JV, Feather River, and Lassen. College of Marin are 4-1 against Signal The Light Basketball ranked opponents and their only loss has come against top ranked Southern California team Mt. San Antonio. Marin will face Canyons on Thursday at the Santa Rosa Tournament.
5. Merritt (10-2) The Thunderbirds drop four spots in the rankings. Last week Merritt beat Hartnell and Santa Monica but lost to Ohlone in the semi finals of the San Jose Tournament. Merritt has finished their non conference schedule and will open up Bay Valley Conference play on January 2nd against Contra Costa.
6. San Jose (10-2) The Jaguars move down 4 spots to number 6. The Jaguars beat Alameda and Santa Monica and finished 2nd place at their own tournament. This weekend San Jose will be off and they will return to action December 28th when they face Rio Hondo at the Allan Hancock Tournament.
7. Skyline (11-1) After 11 straight wins and being the last undefeated team in Northern California, Skyline lost to Las Positas in the championship game of their own tournament on Sunday night. The Trojans beat West Valley and Bakersfield last week before losing the championship game. This week the Trojans will travel to Hartnell to play on Friday.
8. Ohlone (8-3) The Renegades move up in the rankings four spots after having a great weekend at the San Jose Tournament. After beating Monterey, Ohlone beat Merritt and San Jose en route to winning the San Jose City College Tournament Championship. Ohlone has split with both teams (Merrit and San Jose) and also loss to Canada this season. The Renegades will be back in action tomorrow against Diablo Valley.
9. Lassen (13-3) Lassen dropped two spots in the rankings after beating William Jessup and Clackamas but losing to Marin 71-69. Lassen will face Cuesta in the first round of the Modesto Tournament at 8pm on Wednesday.
10. Feather River (11-4) Feather River drops two spots in the rankings from last week after the Golden Eagles beat Clackamas, and William Jessup over the weekend but lost to Marin 70-66 at the Lassen Tournament. Feather River will face Santa Rosa on Thursday night at the Santa Rosa Tournament.
11. American River (6-2) The Beavers remain at number 11 after having the weekend off. This week, American River will face Redwoods in the first round of the Santa Rosa Tournament beginning on Thursday.
12. Las Positas (10-4) The Hawks move up three spots in the rankings after winning the Skyline Tournament. Las Positas beat Redwoods, Gavilan, and handing Skyline their first loss of the season. The Hawks are currently on a six game winning streak and will be back in action on December 20th against West Valley.
13. Cosumnes River (5-3) The Hawks move up one spot in the rankings after having the week off. This week, Cosumnes River will face 15th ranked Columbia in the first round of the Modesto Tournament tomorrow.
14. San Joaquin Delta (6-3) The Mustangs went 2-1 at the Foothill Tournament last week. San Joaquin Delta beat Shasta, and Foothill before losing to top ranked Canada in the championship game. The Mustangs will be back in action on Friday against Reedley as they host the 8 team Delta Holiday Tournament.
15. Columbia (6-3) The Claimjumpers had the week off but moved back into the rankings. Columbia will face 13th ranked Cosumnes River in the first round of the Modesto Tournament.
Signaling a Light: Sacramento (4-4), Butte (5-4), Chabot (5-5), Cabrillo (5-5)